Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Making all these excuses has rendered me too tired to run.

So I haven't run in almost two weeks.

Reasons I have used to skip a run (far from complete):
I've been busy
I haven't felt like it
Too tired
It's cold
It's hot
It's raining
It's foggy
It's humid
It's dry
I ate too much and now I'm way too stuffed to run
I still haven't replaced my old stopwatch
I have plenty of time before my next race
I'm bored with my route
I can't find a better route
I...um...my sweatpants need washed
There's a scary bug near the door

Ok, fine, the last two have not happened.

Yet.

If you have identified with at least one of the items on this list, congratulations! You are a normal human being. And if the sweatpants one comes up more often than not, buy some more sweatpants or...actually, I don't think I can help you on that one. Sorry, pal.

If you read the above list and were overwhelmed by the deluge of reasons why you should not go running, fear not! Below are a ton of things that will inspire you to go running (again, neither complete nor exhaustive):

buy some new gear
read about running (you can check this one off and directly to go, collect $200 as you're doing that RIGHT NOW!)
plan a new route (I love http://walkjogrun.net/ for this)
subtly change an old comfortable route
try some new techniques
get a running partner
register for a race
don't register for a race (but look at the registration page. Think about joining. It elicits the same feeling as the one above except you won't get a free t shirt)
look at your shoes...see them? Look how lonely they are. They love you, won't you love them back?
get out all your favorite running gear - isn't it nice? Since it's out, and you're most likely stadning up, why not go for a run?
find some new stretches to do
is there a park near your house that you've never been to? You could probably run to it. Just saying.
if you run with an mp3 player, make a new playlist
look at weather.com: any really nice days coming up this week?
do a push-up or a sit up; getting into the mindset of exercising will make going for a run seem less insurmountable and totally accessible
find some badass quotes from someone more inspiring than myself (bit of a downer, that Jerry is). Steve Prefontaine is good, Teddy Roosevelt, Lemmy Kilmeister, whatever you like. Finding a positive, uplifting mantra can help get you motivated
talk to someone about running - chances are, they will be impressed that you are even considering going out for a run
you actually love the cold, crisp winter air
the rain isn't so bad (remember that hot new rain-proof jacket you just bought?)
sure it's hot out but there will probably be people selling popsicles and ices on the street and guess what, you deserve it
running in the snow is quiet, peaceful and beautiful (bonus: you'll probably have the road to yourself)

Now get those dirty sweatpants out of the hamper and get out there. No one cares if you're stinky - you're running for crying out loud! It's expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment